Thursday, June 25, 2015

Baby bats in River Ridge - or a "pup" - What do baby bats look like?

I was recently looking at a bat infestation in River Ridge, LA and noticed this mother bat with her pup hanging on the wall. What is interesting is that they were hanging on the wall of the house and the actual roost where all the other bats were is in the garage about 40 feet from the where these two were.

I gave them a price to solve the problem but have not heard back, their neighbor took my advice a year ago and solved it himself. Perhaps he is helping them, and maybe not - who knows. I just hope they do not call me after they fail (if they do) because it is usually almost impossible to remedy the situation as easily as doing it right the first time. A school in New Orleans, learned that the hard way when they had to evacuate the students and faculty due to an improper remedy.

Anyways, another thing of note here is the lack of fur even on the adult. Free-tailed bats are what we normally see around here and they have short fur to begin with but the adult here almost seems devoid of fur and that's not what I normally see!

Young bats, called pups are pretty much bald when born and fur takes some time. I am amazed at how muscular they are, but I guess they have to be to beat their wings and take flight.
These pictures were taken Jun 16th, notice that this means that the young bats are FLYING!

Baby bat with it's mother. River Ridge, LA.

Close up picture of a baby bat or pup on a brick wall.

Mother Bat with pup River Ridge
Mother bat with baby on a brick wall

The following baby bat or "pup" was seen on a log cabin in Bogalusa, LA on May 22nd
This could be described as a little brown bat. It's actually an Evening Bat, little brown is a descriptive term. We often see both types of bats in a house or residence because they seem to tolerate each others presence but they do not cross breed. It is unclear if they help raise young between the two species but they are both present in the same colony!
This little brown Evening Bat was obviously taking his first flight near the end of MAY!
what that means is that if someone were excluding this colony in April - May they may have been accidentally killing this young bat. It is important to know your bats, the birthing seasons and some common sense!

Bat on a log cabin Bogalusa, LA

When I am talking to someone on the phone I say, oh you may be dealing with little brown bats, they always say yeah they are little and brown - but that's not really what I meant, as even a Mexican Free-tailed bat is little and brown!

I think when it comes to bats in New Orleans, I am the most experienced person in the area and consider myself an expert. I do NOT have a college degree in this subject but have learned from my peers, my experience and my never ending research and study. If you believe you have bats, or just want to know more. Give me a call. I have documentation on local bat colonies in the wild and know where they are, and how to protect your home.

Subscribe to my blog, I will update it as I can!

Thanks 
Charles (he thinks he's batman now) Parker 
504-338-7517


No comments: